- 1 whole pastured chicken or chicken parts
- Sea salt, black pepper, cumin and cayenne
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or peanut oil
- 2 cups white wine
- 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 sprigs, fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4-5 button or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and cut into chunks
- Season with sea salt and black pepper
- Parsley, chopped
Break down the chicken into smaller parts (wings, drum sticks, thighs – save the breasts for another dish, and freeze the carcass for stock).
Season chicken with sea salt, black pepper, cumin and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan and sauté chicken pieces until lightly browned on both sides.
Add white wine, tomatoes, water, thyme, garlic and onions. Bring all ingredients to a boil. Cover and lower heat to simmer for 40 minutes.
Add mushrooms, adjust seasoning, and continue cooking 20 minutes or until chicken easily falls off the bone.
Garnish with fresh parsley.