- 5 cups water
- ½ package soba noodles
- 1 leek, cleaned and cut on thick diagonals (use both white and green)
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 cup chinese cabbage, chopped in 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into ¼ inch thick diagonals
- 2-3 bok choy leaves, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. wheat-free tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. mirin (rice cooking wine)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 12-16 ounces black sea bass with skin (or black cod) and cut into 4 equal sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons South River sweet white miso (can use Miso Master or other brand)
- 1 sheet toasted nori, cut into thin slivers
- 2-3 scallions sliced thin
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add soba noodles and cook 7-10 minutes (follow directions on package).
While noodles are cooking, in a separate pot bring 5 cups water, leek, ginger, cabbage, carrot, tamari and mirin to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 5-7 minutes. Add bok choy and continue cooking 1 minute.
In a frying pan heat, the coconut oil. Season the fish with sea salt and black pepper and pan-sear on each side on medium heat, for 3-4 minutes and lightly browned. Remove from the frying pan and set aside. Residual heat will continue cooking the fish.
Dilute the miso paste in a small bowl (use a ladle of liquid from the soup to dilute the miso). Add diluted miso to soup, cover and cook 2-3 minutes on very low heat.
Place a small portion of cooked soba noodles at the bottom of each bowl and ladle soup into the bowl. Put cooked fish on top of the soup. Garnish with a few slivers of toasted nori and scallions.
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep time: 7-10 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Round Out the Meal: Meal is completely fully rounded.
Kid Friendly: To make this more kid friendly cut carrots into star shapes.
Wine Pairing: A simple cup of Green Tea would be best with this meal.