- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 strip naturally cured bacon or 2 tbsp. dried bonito flakes
- 2-3 inches kelp, soaked and sliced thin
- 3 shitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tbsp. shoyu or tamari
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 head baby bok choy, sliced thin
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 eight oz. package of soba noodles, cooked according to directions on package
- 1 tbsp. kimchi per cup of soup
Bring chicken stock, , mirin, bacon (or bonito flakes) and kelp to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 5-7 minutes. Add shitake mushrooms and carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add shoyu and sea salt and taste the broth. For a lighter brother use less shoyu. Add baby bok choy and cook 1-2 minutes or until bright green. Place cooked soba noodles into individual bowls and ladle broth and vegetables on top. Garnish with minced scallions and a tablespoon of kimchi.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.