- 1 cup lentils, soaked overnight
- 5 cups water (or chicken stock)
- 2 inches alaria sea vegetable or wakame
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces (use both white and green part of leek)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 parsnips, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 3 carrots, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 red potato, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Crispy Kale
Discard the lentil soaking water. Bring lentils, alaria and five cups fresh water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 35 minutes. In a separate soup pot, saute olive oil, leek and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add parsnips, carrots, potato, thyme, sea salt and black pepper.
Pour the cooked lentils and alaria into the pot with the sauteed vegetables. Cover and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook 20-25 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the ingredients and puree in a food processor or blender for a creamy consistency. Return the puree to the soup and garnish with Crispy Kale.
Yield: 6 Servings