I’m a BIG fan of winter squash.
There are a wide variety of squashes to choose from. Below are some of my faves:
- Sweet Dumpling
They are all sweet, nourishing and, delicious.
Did I mention sweet? Yes, so good I had to say it twice. Yum!
Get some squash into your beautiful body.
Here’s a fun recipe for you.
- 2 small winter squash (acorn, sweet dumpling, or carnival) halved and seeded
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, minced or 1 tsp. dried sage
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 1½ cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 tsp. real salt
- 2 dashes of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly oil the outside and inside of the halved squash.
- Season lightly with sea salt and roast, flesh side down for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- While squash is roasting, add 1 tbsp. olive oil into a frying pan and saute onion and celery 3-5 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Add the parsley, sage and cranberries and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 13-15 minutes.
- When the squash finishes cooking remove, from the oven and set on individual plates.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into squash and top with Mushroom Gravy.
Here for Mushroom Gravy Recipe.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.