- 6 cups of water
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut on thick diagonals
- ½ cup winter squash, diced
- 3-4 pieces of dried lotus root, soaked
- 4-5 shitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 6-7 ounces wild salmon
- 1 cup broccoli florets and stem, sliced into thin rounds
- 2-3 kales leaves cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 tbsp. white miso or chick pea miso
- 2 cups leftover grain (brown rice, noodles, etc.)
- 1 bunch of watercress
Bring water, ginger, onion, carrots, squash, lotus root and shitake mushrooms to a boil. Reduce flame, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add salmon (or other fish) and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli stems and broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add kale for 2-3 minutes. Dilute miso in a small amount of water and add to the soup. Add leftover grain or noodles and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Ladle into large bowls and garnish with fresh watercress.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.