Barley contains high levels of beta glucan. This is very important for those folks worried about “bad” cholesterol and heart health.
Beta glucan is a soluble fiber that binds with cholesterol in the digestive system and naturally excretes it from the body.
Try this delicious Mushroom Barley soup for a healthy dose of beta glucan.
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or grass-fed butter)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- ¾ cup pearled barley, soaked overnight
- 6 cups beef stock, water or vegetable stock
- 1 & ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme or 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
- Heat a soup pot on medium high heat.
- Saute onion plus a pinch of salt, in olive oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and mushrooms and another pinch of salt and saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add barley, stock, remaining salt, pepper and thyme, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 40-45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.