Are you looking for hearty bowl of a warm winter comfort?
Try this Mushroom Barley soup to help satisfy that craving. It’ll nourish you all the way down into your bones.
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or grass-fed butter)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- ¾ cup pearled barley, soaked overnight
- 6 cups beef stock, water or vegetable stock
- 1 & ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme or 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
- Heat a soup pot on medium high heat.
- Saute onion plus a pinch of salt, in olive oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and mushrooms and another pinch of salt and saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add barley, stock, remaining salt, pepper and thyme, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 40-45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.