By Jamie Hersch, HHC • Guest Blogger
Working in New York City is no joke. People are up at the crack of dawn, commuting on their local public transportation, and coming home at all hours of the evening. Most New Yorkers spend the majority of their day behind a computer, or cramped in the corner of a cubicle. For many, the idea of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, much less their sanity seems like quite the chore.
However, eating healthy while maintaining a cheerful attitude can actually be easier than you think! It just takes a little planning, a shift in your mindset, and a lighthearted approach to make this seem possible. I am all about adding things in to your life, rather than taking them away. Here are some ideas that you can ADD to your lifestyle to make the daily grind a little more manageable.
1. Pack at least one meal a day to bring to work. Baby steps! If the meal you choose is breakfast, how about oatmeal? You can simply put the dry oatmeal in a Ziploc, bring along a banana in your briefcase, and call it a day. When you get to work all you need to do is add some water, cut up the banana and you have got yourself a great and filling breakfast. If you’re feeling super ambitious why not bring some nuts as well (almonds and walnuts are great) to add some healthy fat to your morning meal.
2. Water: Try to drink at least one large glass of water before lunch and one after. I use one of those Camelback water jugs and am constantly refilling it throughout the day. Not only is the water great for digestion but it will make you have to take frequent bathroom breaks, and thus a quick moment of solace from your computer.
3. Healthy Snacks: Having a bunch of healthy snacks at work is so important. Too often people don’t eat enough throughout the day, which often leads to a binge in the evening. Healthy snacking throughout the day can help curb your appetite, keep you focused on your work to-do list, and possibly ward off some of those cravings for office birthday cake. You can stash portable snacks such as Larabars, trail mix, veggies, apples, almond/peanut butter, & fruit leathers.
4. Stretch: Most people spend 8-10 hours a day at work. That’s a lot of time in a desk chair, if you work in a traditional office. Sitting in a chair for hours on end can lead to back pain, fatigue, and boredom! How about every hour you get up and do a little stretch: arms over your head or even a big deep breath and touch your toes. Of course, this will vary depending on if you have your own office or not. The key idea is to make sure your getting up every hour or so to get the blood flowing!
5. Bring a positive attitude to work: Sure, this is A LOT easier said than done, however having a positive attitude will attract more positivity into your life. Smile at one person, see how good it feels! Most people spend more time at their job than they do with their loved ones. Why not make work an encouraging environment that you enjoy going to.
I hope these tips about adding things into your 9-5 life are helpful. If you would like to know more about my practice as a health coach you can check out my blog at HerschHolisticHealth.com. I also write about my personal journey to health at HerschHolisticHealth.tumblr.com
Cheers to good health!