During flu and cold time of year, it’s important to nourish your immune system. But, most folks don’t know that the lymphatic and immune systems are intricately entwined and cannot function without each other.
The lymph is comprised of mostly water (as is the whole human body), plus protein molecules, glucose, urea and the disease fighting white blood cells. The interstitial fluid that bathes and surrounds the tissues cells, travels through the lymph and is mostly water as well.
That being said, to support your immune system and your lymphatic system, it is essential to also nourish the water element to ensure everything is flowing smoothly. You can read more about that here: Do you know how to support your immunity?
This means not only is it vital to hydrate at this time of year, but it’s also wise to drink herbal teas (water based medicine) to support your body.
Drinking tea is one of the oldest healing remedies to deliver the herbs that will nourish your water element, immune system and lymphatic system. It’s a win, win, win.
Below are the main ingredients in a delicious tea that you can drink daily for a few weeks to ensure your systems are flowing and fighting well.
- Burdock (Arctium lappa) – cleanses the lipid pathways (lymph) and is sweet, bitter, warm and oily. Burdock has an affinity for the liver, gallbladder, kidneys, skin and endocrine system.
- Elderberry (Sambucas nigra L.) – antiviral, daphoretic, and strengthens the cell membranes to prevent virus penetration.
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinales L.) – nervine, antimicrobial, antiviral and hepatic. Melissa helps relieve stress and tension, support the digestive system and nervous system, and has a tonic effect on the circulatory system.
For those of you with hypothyroid, swap out the Lemon Balm for Nettles or Mullein.
Recipe below. Enjoy!
- Put herbs into a French press or 32 oz mason jar.
- Fill with boiling water and steep 30-40 minutes.
- Drink 2-3 cups per day for 3-4 weeks during cold and flu season.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.