- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 red lipstick peppers (medium sized red peppers, sweet flavor)
- 1 – 15 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 – 12 ounce package andouille turkey or chicken sausage (organic or naturally raised, antibiotic and hormone free), cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced (or 2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
In a large pot, saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add celery, carrots and peppers and continue sautéing 2-3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, rice, sausage and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes. Add hot sauce, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, parsley and shrimp. Cook additional 12-15 minutes.
Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, brown rice and sausage into a crockpot – in that order. Add hot sauce, thyme, sea salt, pepper and water. Cover and cook on LOW 8-9 hours. One hour before the crock pot finishes cooking, toss in parsley and shrimp, and stir to combine all ingredients. Add more water if needed.
Makes six to eight servings.