- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 red lipstick peppers (medium sized red peppers, sweet flavor)
- 1 – 15 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 – 12 ounce package andouille turkey or chicken sausage (organic or naturally raised, antibiotic and hormone free), cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced (or 2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
In a large pot, saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add celery, carrots and peppers and continue sautéing 2-3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, rice, sausage and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes. Add hot sauce, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, parsley and shrimp. Cook additional 12-15 minutes.
Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, brown rice and sausage into a crockpot – in that order. Add hot sauce, thyme, sea salt, pepper and water. Cover and cook on LOW 8-9 hours. One hour before the crock pot finishes cooking, toss in parsley and shrimp, and stir to combine all ingredients. Add more water if needed.
Makes six to eight servings.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.