Client’s suffering from deficiencies like osteoporosis and adrenal fatigue always ask how they should use bone stocks to help improve their health.
Depending on their condition, I usually suggest using those hearty stocks in veggie-based stews.
Combining bone stocks with vegetables and fungi, gives you the best of both worlds.
Your digestive system and bones get the collagen and minerals they need from the stock, and all of your organs and bodily systems get a big dose of veggie vitamins, and fiber too.
In the recipe below I used beef stock. But, you can use any stock: chicken, pork, lamb, duck, turkey…
You can also use any vegetables and fungi that you like. I chose roots and tubers because it’s winter and those foods are more available. Plus, I used cremini mushrooms but there is a wide variety of mushrooms you can choose: button, shitake, maitake, portobello, oyster… you get the picture.
Mix and match your favorite foods with any deeply nourishing stock to make it taste nourishing and totally delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 & ½ cups cremini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 large red potato, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 celeriac root, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3 & ½ cups beef stock (or other stock)
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- On a medium heat, add olive oil into a large soup pot.
- Add onion and a pinch of sea salt.
- Saute 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt.
- Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add potato, carrots, celeriac, beef stock, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.