If you’re suffering from digestive woes (gas, bloating, reflux, constipation), try rotating this morning porridge into your breakfast routine.
The gut needs fiber and mucilage to function optimally and this breakfast cereal contains both; fiber from the oats and fenugreek seeds and mucilage from the slippery elm and flax seeds.
Grains, like oats, needs to be processed properly and that means soaking them.
I soaked the oats in an acid-medium (goat kefir) to neutralize the anti-nutrients, and make the oats way more beneficial to health.
If you find that the kefir makes the oats taste too sour, you can sweeten this porridge with honey or maple syrup. If you don’t use eat dairy, you can use any other acid medium (vinegar, lemon juice).
And, if you simply do not like oats, you can swap them out and use any other cooked grain instead (brown rice, cracked wheat, quinoa, or buckwheat). If you use another type of grain other than oats, make sure it is pre-cooked. Rolled oats are pre-cooked (steamed).
Enjoy this gut-healing porridge and send your belly some fiber, mucilage and love!
- Put oats, 1 cup water, fenugreek and 1 tbsp. yogurt or kefir into a pot.
- Sit covered overnight.
- In the morning, add remaining 1 cup water, cinnamon, berries, slippery elm, water and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower to simmer and cook 5-7 minutes.
- Top with ground flax seeds and remaining kefir.
- Garnish with some fresh berries.