Make no bones about it, to strengthen the health of your immune system, it’s imperative to support your gut and your lungs.
Ancient healers have understood this connection for thousands of years, and modern science is finally catching up. There is a gut/lung/immune axis that is being recognized.
You can learn more about that intimate connection here: Are you worried about the virus?
One simple and easy way to give your body (gut/lung/immune axis) what it needs to do its best work, is to include an ancient healing root into your next pot of homemade bone stock.
And, when you add in Astragalus Root (pictured below), it kicks your stock up to a whole new level of deep nutrition.
According to ancient healing wisdom, Astragalus root:
- Fortifies the Wei Qi (our internal and external protection/immunity)
- Strengthens lung Qi (ability to breathe)
- Improves metabolic, respiratory, and eliminative functions
Fortifying your body is as easy as sipping on this nourishing stock throughout the most contagious months of the year (fall, winter, spring).
To make homemade stock more frequently without much fuss, I save all of the bones from roasted chicken in a bag in the freezer.
I also save my kitchen scraps (onion, carrots, celery, etc.) and keep them in the freezer in a baggie as well. It just makes life, and cooking, so much easier to manage.
If you want easy as heck cooking tips on how to make stock and other nourishing recipes, check out my Gut and Respiratory Support Cooking Class and I walk you through the process step by step.
Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1-2 pounds roasted chicken bones (or other bones)
- Onion, carrot, celery, and parsley scraps
- 5 quarts water
- ¼ cup astragalus root (8/10 slices, 1 & ½ tbsp. powder)
- Place all ingredients into an Instapot (or crockpot).
- Set it on slow cook for 18-24 hours.
- Strain bones and scraps and throw away.
- Use stock within 5-6 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- If you don’t use the stock within 5-6 days, you can bring it back to a boil and keep another 5-6 days.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.