As flu, cold and c0ronavirus season descends upon the masses again and again, I highly recommend keeping a container of ginger slurry inside your refrigerator to make tea.
It’ll keep for at least a week.
Ginger is well known around the world for its therapeutic properties and for its spicy/pungent flavor that helps clear congestion, thin mucus, and bring warmth to the digestive system.
If you feel a tickle or a trickle in your nose and/or throat, take 2 tbsp. of ginger slurry and combine it with your favorite local honey, plus a dash of cayenne pepper.
Getting 3-4 cups of this ginger tea into your body at the onset of sickness can help keep mucus thin and flowing well.
You may be wondering, “why on earth would I want to keep mucus thin and flowing well?”
“The mucosal immune system provides the first line of defense against toxic agents that enter the body through the mucosal membrane. It comprises the largest immune organ in the body and can be viewed as a single layer of epithelium covered by mucus, in which the anti-microbial proteins are reinforced by innate and adaptive immune strategies.”
Your mucus is your first line of defense to keep viruses and pathogens at bay. If the mucus gets dry and/or congested, your defense system won’t function well.
Keep in mind, this ginger tea is also going to make you sweat. It’s designed too. If you’re not sweating… it’s not strong enough.
Enjoy the free-flowing mucus thinning tea, sweat it out, and stay happy, healthy and virus free!
- 1 large bulb of ginger peeled and chopped
- 4-5 lemons (can use limes too) squeezed
- Local honey
- Cayenne pepper
- Put ginger and lemon juice into a food processor or Vitamix.
- Puree until you get a thick slurry.
- Take 2 tbsp. of ginger slurry and put into your favorite mug.
- Put the remaining slurry into the refrigerator in a tightly sealed jar.
- Add boiling water into the mug, plus a dash or two of cayenne pepper and 1-2 tsp. local honey.
- Sip and sweat.
Do you want more recipes to heal what’s ailing you? Check out my Food as Medicine Program where you’ll gain:
- Comprehensive knowledge about how food and herbs can be used as medicine. This empowers you to make informed decisions about your health.
- Practical cooking skills focused on optimizing health where you learn to prepare meals that not only nourish but also heal, using ingredients that are easily accessible.
- Understanding how to use food to prevent and manage common illnesses naturally. This is particularly beneficial if you are looking to reduce reliance on prescription medication and seek more natural, holistic health solutions.
Take a look at the program here:
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.