For years I would make fresh and raw tomato salsa (aka Salsa Fresca) whenever I had extra tomatoes and peppers. It’s totally refreshing and delicious.
But, this time, I made a fire-roasted salsa and OH MY!
I brought it to a party and everyone raved about how good it was. And, it’s true!
It is totally yummy!
If you’ve never taken the time to make a homemade fire-roasted salsa before, try it, at least one time. You’ll be hooked.
Here’s my version. I hope it wins over your taste buds, too.
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves (whole and unpeeled)
- 1 large serrano pepper, whole
- 2 jalapeno peppers, whole
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Put a sheet of parchment paper into a 9x13 baking pan
- Place the tomatoes skin side up into the pan with the onion and whole garlic cloves
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the skin blisters on the tomatoes
- While the tomatoes are roasting, put the serrano pepper and the jalapeno peppers directly onto the flame on the stove top and char them until blackened
- Turn the peppers with tongs so you don't get burned
- Once the skin on the peppers is black, put them into a paper bag and close tightly - this will give them a smokey, fire-roasted flavor
- Keep the peppers in the bag for about 20 minutes
- Once the peppers cool, peel the charred skin, and remove most of the seeds
- By now, the tomatoes should be finished
- Remove them from the oven, peel and discard the tomato skins
- Peel and discard the garlic skins, too
- Place the roasted tomatoes, garlic, onion, and peppers into a food processor with the fresh cilantro, lime juice and zest, plus sea salt
- Puree until it reaches desired salsa consistency
- Adjust salt if needed
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.