The springtime, I believe, is the best time of year to go “vegan” or “vegetarian” for a period of time.
Traditionally, many cultures and religions around the world have used some type of cleansing or fasting ritual, especially in the Spring and Fall months.
In the springtime, fasting can help relieve the pent-up stagnation of winter (physically, emotionally and spiritually).
Traditional Chinese Medicine says the spring correlates with the Liver and Gallbladder meridians. Reducing animal fats and proteins, as well as fasting, supports the healing and renewal of this complementary organ system.
Spring cleaning the physical body is essential for health and vitality.
Every Spring, I too, begin a fasting ritual.
I eat lighter foods (salads, sprouts, spring soups) and reduce animal proteins and fats for a few weeks.
I sometimes follow that up with three days of The Master Cleanser (lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, water). While doing the Master Cleanser, I abstain from food entirely and only drink the liquid for a short period of time (three days). Some folks fast for longer, but I feel that 72 hours works perfectly for my system.
Instead of The Master Cleanser, sometimes I’ll do a Liver Detox/Cleanse from Linda Page’s Healthy Healing. Here is a partial list of what her liver detox entails:
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day. Add ¼ tsp. vitamin C crystals to each glass of water (it’s a natural heavy metal toxin chelator).
- Have a dark leafy vegetable salad every day
- One cup of miso soup with sea vegetables the night before you begin the cleanse
- Make a liver tonic: 4 oz hawthorn berries, 2 oz red sage (salvia), 1 oz of cardamom seeds. Steep 24 hours in 2 qts. water. Add honey. Take 2 cups daily.
For the next 3 days…
- On rising: take 1 lemon squeezed in water; or 2 tbsp. cider vinegar in water with 1 tsp. honey.
- Breakfast: take a potassium broth, or carrot-beet-cucumber juice. Add 1 tsp. spirulina to any drink.
- Mid-morning: take a green veggie drink; or a green superfood powder in water or vegetable juice.
- Lunch: have a glass of fresh carrot juice, or organic apple juice, or a cup of liver tonic.
- Mid-afternoon: mint or green tea, or Crystal Star Liver Cleansing Tea
- Dinner: have another carrot juice or a mixed vegetable juice, or hot vegetable broth
- Before bed: a pineapple/papaya juice with 1 tsp. Royal Jelly
What ever you are called to do at this time of year, whether it’s to go vegetarian, or clear out toxins from your body, get started and spring into spring renewed.
Need more guidance on how to safely and effectively detox your body and cleanse your liver? Hop on my LIVE webinar to get all of the juicy details.