As the weather dips down nothing beats a big bowl of warm nourishing soup.
To lighten this hearty dish up a little bit, I added some apple salsa as garnish. Yum!
Try it and let me know your thoughts.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. organic curry powder
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 inches ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4-5 cups veggie broth or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil on a medium heat in a soup pot.
- Add curry, pepper and nutmeg, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and sea salt, and cook 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Add sweet potatoes, ginger and garlic and saute additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add veggie broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced.
- Place the cooked vegetables (plus some broth) into a food processor and puree.
- Add the puree back into the soup pot with butter and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- In a mixing bowl combine apple, cilantro, shallot, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Garnish individual bowls with a dollop of apple salsa
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.