According to modern medical science, there is no cure for the common cold… or the c*oronavirus or the flu, for that matter.
But, there is one tried and true home remedy that will nourish you to help you feel better while your body is going through the healing process.
Yep, you guessed it! Your great grandma knew best – Chicken Soup!
As you go through cold and flu and c*oronavirus season, it’s a smart idea to always have some chicken stock in the refrigerator or stored in the freezer.
Chicken stock (and other stocks) contain a wealth of nutrients that support vitality and immunity. Learn more about that here: Invest in Good Stock!
It’s medicinal food.
Plus, with the addition of the culinary herbs thyme that is a natural expectorant, and the warming circulatory stimulant rosemary, you’re bound to feel better in no time.
Here’s my classic and Simple Chicken Soup. Try it and let your body heal with each spoonful.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 5-6 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp. each dried rosemary, dried thyme
- 2 Pastured chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 & ½ - 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley
- In a soup pot, saute the onion and celery in olive oil for 2-3 minutes with ½ tsp. sea salt.
- Add stock, potato, carrots, thyme, and rosemary, plus chicken and remaining 1 tsp. sea salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium/low for 35-45 minutes.
- Add garlic during the last 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.