Tired of the same old boring bean soup?
Try putting those bountiful beans into a refreshing and delicious summer salad.
Like this one that’s loaded with fragrant herbs and veggies.
- 1 cup dried Cannelinni Beans, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 4 inches of kelp
- 1 & ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange or green), seeded and diced
- 1 & ½ cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 10-12 large basil leaves, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. prepared dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Soak beans overnight or 8-10 hours in water to cover (beans will expand and soak up water)
- Drain beans and discard excess soaking water
- Pour 4 cups fresh water into a pot with pre-soaked beans
- Bring to a boil and skim off and discard foam that rises to the top
- Add 3-4 inches of dried kelp, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook one hour
- After one hour, add 1 tsp. sea salt and continue cooking 25-30 minutes or until beans are soft (but not mushy)
- Drain the beans and let them cool
- In a large mixing bowl combine shallot, pepper, grape tomatoes, basil and cooked beans
- In a small mixing bowl combine vinegar and remaining ½ tsp. salt, mustard, garlic and black pepper, plus olive oil
- Pour dressing onto bean salad and gently toss to coat evenly
- Garnish with some thinly sliced basil leaves
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.