For those of you that have been following my work for some time, you know that I’m a stickler for great quality ingredients.
It’s gotta be clean, organic and naturally raised, otherwise I don’t want to put it into my body.
At least not intentionally!
This also includes what I put onto my skin and hair. Again, it’s gotta be great quality.
I’m clear that what I put onto my body, gets absorbed into my body, so I don’t want nasty endocrine disruptors, carcinogenic ingredients, or other crap that could congest my system and/or my detoxification processes.
Your skin is the largest detoxification organ in the body. Don’t clog it up!
Recently, I received an inquiry from a gal named Aubrey asking about my skincare routine and the body and hair-care products I use.
She said, “I LOVE following & learning from you, HALLELUJAH! Would you please be so kind and share your facial skincare routine, body moisturizers/routine, toothpaste/floss, and hair care products?”
She’s cute! She wants to know everything!
So, I compiled a list of the products that I love.
I generally rotate the products I use because I find that my body likes a wide variety of things.
Let’s start from the top down…
I used to NOT like my hair. When I was growing up I would blow it out straight because I didn’t appreciate my curls. Today, I love my hair exactly as it is. I give it the freedom to be wild and curly and don’t use a blow-dryer or color it. And, because it’s curly, I don’t wash it with shampoo daily. That would strip the natural oils from my hair. Curly hair needs much of its own oil to stay healthy. With that being said, I condition my hair whenever I’m in the shower, and then shampoo it every couple of weeks. These are my favorite shampoo and conditioners right now:
- Giovanni Root 66 Organic Conditioner with Horsetail and Silica – I’ve been using Giovanni for years. I rotate between a wide variety of their conditioners. The Root 66 is the one I’m loving right now.
- Annmarie Gianni – Sweet Sunrise Herbal Shampoo – this is a new shampoo that I’ve been trying – it has aloe vera, nettles, and horsetail. It’s nice and gentle, and mineral rich. I really like it. This brand also has excellent organic skincare products. You can get a free sample kit here. FREE SAMPLE
I love and appreciate my skin. It’s got some wrinkles and wear and tear from the years, but it’s the skin I’m living in and I love it and take good care of it.
- Dr. Hauschka Regenerating Day Cream – I’m in my 50’s, so I switched from Dr. Haushcka Rose Day Cream, to the creamier regenerating day cream for skin that needs a little extra TLC.
- For body lotion, I’m most recently using something called Sweet Grass Body Lotion that I purchased when I was in Montana. Its made by a local company there called Red Root Herbs – Blackfeet Indian Made. I couldn’t find a website for their products, but here is an email: firstname.lastname@example.org My husband loves this body lotion as well. It smells so darn good!
- I also really like Vernal Body Oil from a company in Vermont called Heart Grown Wild. They have nice products all around, including hair oil that I like to use occasionally – it’s called Sol Nectar Hair Serum.
- If it’s the dead of winter and my skin feels like sandpaper, I’ll slather on some good old fashioned organic castor oil before a shower and that usually softens me up all over.
I did a LOT of damage to my teeth as a young adult and teenager with a BIG sugar addiction. Thankfully, I still have most of them (missing 6 – eek!). So, I try to take the best care possible to keep the ones that I still have.
- Since healing my thyroid over 25 years ago, I haven’t used fluoride-based toothpaste (or fluoridated water for that matter). Instead, I brush my teeth with Tom’s of Maine Flouride Free Toothpaste and I also use Eco-Dent Tooth Powder.
- The floss I use is Eco-Dent Floss.
- There’s a gum rinse that I like from an herbal company called Woodland Essence. It strengthens and tones the gums, and prevents plaque and cavities – it’s called Herbal Gum Rinse
Although I don’t wear much makeup, the cosmetics I do use has to be GREAT quality, otherwise I don’t want to put it on my skin. Eventually, anything you put on your face, lips, eyelashes, will get absorbed into the body. Here’s what I use:
- For my lipstick, I really like Vapour Lipstick: Siren Desire color. It’s light, easy, and natural.
- Mascara and eyeliner and sometimes a little eye shadow, I use Mineral Fusion. You can find this brand at most Whole Foods Markets and Health Food Stores.
Thanks for sending in your question, Aubrey.
Wishing you all healthy skincare, haircare, and teeth care!
Please share any of your favorite products in the comments below. I love trying new things.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links.