- 4-6 pastured lamb shanks seasoned with sea salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. pork fat or other fat/oil
- 2 cups red wine
- 4-5 cups water or stock (enough to almost cover shanks)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp. rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 fingerling potatoes
Preheat oven to 325. In a frying pan, heat fat/oil and sear shanks until lightly browned on all sides.
Place shanks into a 9×9 baking pan with all the chopped vegetables (except potatoes), garlic and herbs.
Cover and cook 1 & 1/2 hours. Uncover, turn the shanks with tongs, add the potatoes and continue cooking another 1 & 1/2 hours.
Remove shanks, vegetables, and potatoes and set aside. Pour liquid from the baking pan into a gravy separator or into a measuring cup and let cool slightly.
As fat rises to the top pour or skim off and discard. Put shank juice/liquid into a small sauce pot, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until reduced by half.
Pour reduced jus on top of shanks.