- 2 cups black beans, cooked (can use canned beans)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced small
- 12 ounces, cooked chicken breast, shredded (drag a fork through cooked chicken breast to create shredded pieces)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Sea salt to taste
Rinse quinoa. Bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and simmer on low flame for 12-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa with beans, red onion, red pepper, cooked shredded chicken, and cilantro. Whisk limes, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, cumin and sea salt. Pour dressing onto black bean and quinoa salad and mix thoroughly. Yields 6-8 servings.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker and Herbalist. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.