Beans and corn are kinda like peas and carrots… they work really well together.
Corn lacks the amino acids, tryptophan and lysine, that are essential to forming proteins. And, beans are high in lysine and tryptophan to make up for that lack.
So these two foods, when combined together, create a healthful and delicious dish.
- 1 & ½ cups black beans, soaked overnight (can substitute 3 cups canned black beans)
- 2-3 inches of kelp sea vegetable
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 serrano chili peppers or jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 red onion, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 & ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- If using dried beans, soak overnight and then discard the bean soaking water.
- Bring beans and 3-4 cups fresh water to a boil.
- Skim the foam that rises to the top.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add kelp, and cover.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add 1 tsp. tea salt and simmer additional 30 minutes or until beans soften.
- Drain cooked beans and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add fresh corn and cook 5-6 minutes.
- Let the corn cool and then remove kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, green pepper, red pepper, hot peppers, onion, parsley and cilantro.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk vinegar, lime juice and remaining ½ tsp. sea salt. Add the olive oil into the dressing and whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing on top of salad and toss evenly.
Andrea Beaman is an internationally renowned Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, Speaker, Herbalist and best-selling author. Named one of the top 100 Most Influential Health and Fitness Experts, she is also a recipient of the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Award for Excellence in Health-Supportive Education and a Health Leadership award from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Since 1999, Andrea has been teaching people how to harness the body’s own preventative and healing powers using food, herbal remedies and alternative medicine.
Some recipes and articles on this site may contain affiliate links to products we trust and love. The money received helps keep this website and all of its healthful and delicious content FREE to the public.